Benefits of Surgery
Pros and Cons
Losing a significant amount of weight may have a major impact on your overall health. Weight loss surgery may improve or even resolve several obesity-related conditions, including: diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol problems, sleep apnea, some cancers, bone and joint issues, and overall quality of life.
But before you decide to pursue surgical weight loss, it’s best to consider all of the pros and cons to the procedure.
Advantages of Surgical Weight Loss
- The patient may eat and absorb less food
- The patient’s appetite may decrease
- The patient may experience a prolonged sense of fullness after eating
- A laparoscopic procedure is minimally invasive
- A patient may lose a large percent of excess body weight over a short period of time
- Can put you on the road to a healthier and more active life
Disadvantages of Surgical Weight Loss
- The procedure is permanent
- The procedure requires stomach cutting, stapling and some intestinal rerouting
- The procedure requires the patient’s discipline and commitment to avoid nutritional deficiencies and malnutrition